Skip to main content
About Us
Heathers Blog
WEG 2014

 Heathers Blog 
Sunday, June 03 2012
On Thursday Jeremy and I loaded up Kutt and Marvel to make the trip to Prescott, Arizona.  We would be being hosted by the Rashid Family at Kytiri Ranch.  The drive took 8 hours.  The first part of the drive was scenic, then it turned to desert and then rock and then in Flagstaff it was forrest and then back to desert.

Prescott is at about 5000+ elevation.  It was very hot out so we decided to leave Durango at 2 pm.  We arrived in Prescott around 10pm.  Terri was there with a smile on as well as her husband Rick.  After our horses were settled in a nice BIG paddock we were taken to our sleeping quarters.  We fell right asleep.

Friday morning we got up and went for a ride with Terri on the trail that we would be using as our evaluation trail.  (Terri was supposed to do the trial with us but disappointingly, at the last minute her horse came up sore and it was blocked to the foot so it was just really bad timing.)  It was a 3.1 mile out and then turn around and head back.  It was a right handed fish-hook out, midway you went by a windmill then continued to a bush, looped around the bush to the trail you were just on and go back to the windmill and hook left to the start point.  We were going to do this for 38 miles.  The trail had nice footing and we chased some gazelle which was fun.

When we were done with the ride it was already very warm.  Arizona has a really dry heat.  We loaded up the horses and went to the local deli to pick up sandwiches for Terri's family and ourselves. 

After we drove to the ranch we all had lunch and then Jeremy and I saddled up Marvel and Kutt to do the track that is on the property for a little stretch ride.  Terri joined us on her Zero, which is an electric motorcycle/dirtbike.  It was sooo quiet, the horses didn't mind at all.  Terri did have to go faster at times to make some wind so she could cool off with all of her gear on.

When we were done with the horses we changed and went for a swim and had an epic water fight. 

Around 6:30 the vets, Dr Hooten and Dr Seymour, the Chef, Emmett Ross and the selector Carol Giles arrived.  We headed to the horses immediately as we needed to see them before dark and more importantly before our dinner reservation!  After trotting, poking, prodding and flexing we headed off for dinner.

We had dinner at a place called Murphy's.  There were many of us, Terri had reserved a private room, good thinking.  There were 14 of us.  It was an enjoyable time for sure.  The Weary's were there as well as they had helped secure the location of the trail and coordinate being able to use it.

On Sat. we trailered over to the start for a 6:30 start.  Kutt and Marvel felt great.  We were instructed to go 18.7 Km and we headed off for 4 out and backs, about 24.8 miles.  After that we had a pulse with a vet check and a 30 min hold.  Both horses ate well and looked like they were doing an LD. 

After the hold we did two more out and backs a bit faster, then vetted out again.  It was a pleasant day and the horses did the work with ease.

We trailered back to the ranch and met with the staff to review how the ride went and some general travel details for any one who might make the team.  Then we headed back out and examined the beasts once more before the staff had to head to the airport.

The rest of us, The Rashid family, their trainer Robyn, Skip, Jeremy and I went to lunch at the golf resort near the ranch.  It was very relaxing to be done with the working part of the weekend. 

After we returned to the ranch Jeremy and I took a nap.  When we woke up we were new people!  We took the dogs down to the pond with the two Rashid boys to play around.  Roo was helping the Rashid's family dog, Kiri get in and enjoy herself with confidence.  It was warm enough that Merlin accidentally got in for a short swim as well. 

After dog time all the humans hit the pool.  It was really fun.  The pool fun was followed by hanging out and BB-Q'ing.  The masters, Rick and Skip made dinner.  It was a very good time.    I am very thankful for the awesome hospitality of the Rashid family. 

We drove home today, Sunday and we are now vegging in front of the TV, well I will be after I write this...  Our next adventure will be Ft Howes.  We hope to see you there!  Support FEI so we will have future events to attend.
Posted by: Heather AT 09:07 pm   |  Permalink   |  Email

Reynolds Racing
Dunnellon, FL 34431
 Heather: 408-687-7082
Jeremy: 408-687-7083

Design Your Own Website, Today!
iBuilt Design Software
Give it a try for Free